Skip to main content

Pretzel Hamburger with Beer Cheese Sauce

I recently had a hankering for soft pretzels, cheese, and sausage.  What better way to combine them all by making a sausage burger topped with a beer cheese sauce and sandwiched in a pretzel bun?  I also added sauerkraut on top for an Oktoberfest feel.

I bought some sausage links at the grocery store, removed the casings, then formed the patties.  Next time I think I would combine the sausage with ground beef for a more traditional, but also sausage-flavored burger.




















Pretzel Rolls
4 teaspoons active dry yeast
1 teaspoon white sugar
1 1/4 cups warm water (110 degrees F)
5 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 white sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 cup baking soda
4 cups hot water
1/4 kosher salt, for topping

In a small bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.


In a large bowl, mix together flour, 1/2 cup sugar, and salt. Make a well in the center; add the oil and yeast mixture. Mix and form into a dough. If the mixture is dry, add one or two tablespoons of water. Knead the dough until smooth, about 7 to 8 minutes.


Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.


Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). In a large bowl, dissolve baking soda in hot water.


When risen, turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and divide into 12 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a rope and twist into a pretzel shape. Once all of the dough is all shaped, dip each pretzel into the baking soda solution and place on a greased baking sheet. Sprinkle with kosher salt.

Bake in preheated oven for 8 minutes, until browned.

Smoky Beer Cheddar Cheese Sauce
¼ cup butter
¼ cup flour
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon ground chile de arbol (can substitute cayenne pepper)
½ teaspoon smoked paprika
½ teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
½ cup beer, Belgian style wheat beer
½ cup chicken broth
8 ounces mild cheddar cheese, shredded
¾ cup half & half
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, melt butter.  Add flour and whisk; allow flour to cook for 2-3 minutes to cook out the ‘floury’ taste.  Add garlic, chile, paprika, salt, and pepper.  Whisk to combine. 

Slowly add beer and chicken broth.  Whisk until there are no lumps.  Add cheese and whisk constantly until you have a smooth mixture.  Add half & half and Worstershire.  Reduce heat to low, until ready to serve, whisking occasionally.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kid's Pink Flamingo Costume Tutorial

I made this pink flamingo costume for my niece last year.  I love the Pottery Barn costume but I thought I could created my own version of their pink flamingo kids costume and save a little money. Pink Flamingo Body: I needed a pattern for the body of the costume.  I used  Simplicity 2070 pattern pumpkin costume (Design A in the pattern) using a light pink fleece fabric. It looks almost exactly like the Pottery Barn version. You can make it without the arms as in the Pottery Barn costume but since my niece lived in New England she needed something warm to wear. The Design A pumpkin version comes with long sleeves.  Since you are using fleece you can easily cut them short without the need to hem since fleece does not fray very much or not add the sleeves at all.                             Pink Flamingo Hood : Next, I made the flamingo hood using the same pattern as the chick (Design B in the pattern) made with the same light pink fleece as the body for the h

Make an American Girl Doll Flutter Sleeve Dress - Free Pattern & Video Tutorial

Free Pattern & Video Tutorial - Fat Quarter Flutter Sleeve Dress You can watch a Youtube tutorial of this dress here: Fat Quarter Flutter Sleeve Dress Tutorial Make an American Girl doll flutter sleeve dress by using fat quarter fabrics. Fat quarters are fabric squares, normally 18" x 21" (ok, not really a square) sold to make a variety of sewing and craft projects. For this particular dress, one fat quarter is enough to make one dress. I used two fat quarters for main (outer fabric) and another fabric for the sleeves and pockets for contrast. But, if you want the dress to be all of the same fabric you will only need one fat quarter for the main dress.  I purchased the fabric at Walmart for only 97cents each! I had extra white fabric on hand that I used for the lining so for $1.94 plus tax I made two adorable AG dresses for my nieces! Supplies: 1-Fat Quarter Fabric (18” x 21”) I purchased my fat quarters at Walmart.   Waverly Inspirations

Ixora's are in Bloom!

Today I stepped out into my southern garden and the Ixora's are in full bloom! The huge balls of hot pink flowers are just popping from their beds under our palm trees. Ixora's are the south's version of  the hydrangea.  When they bloom they brighten up the garden, adding color to the very green landscape. We have had so much rain this summer that many of the flowers in my garden have just given up, only mushrooms and ixora's have prevailed! Ixora Plant